Saturday, February 9, 2008

In control or out of control?

In his post titled I Will Lift Up My Hands! Sam Storms describes his non-charismatic days and practices,
"I felt in control...and above all else, safe. These matter no more to me."
He goes on to say in reference to his now charismatic practices,
"I'm at that point in life where I honestly couldn't care less what the immovable evangelical is thinking or the crazy charismatic is feeling."
When I read this post back in July 2007 I was reminded of the similar attitude I had during my charismatic days and how very familiar it sounded--I didn't care what others thought and I gave no consideration to Biblical criticism because what I was practicing made me feel good and look spiritual.

This "if it feels good do it" philosophy continues to make inroads within historically sound teaching and practicing churches with little regard to the Biblical commands to be self-controlled, exercise sound judgement, and be sober-minded.

Recently, I found Peter Masters' words to be a much-needed warning,
"Charismatics claim that by maintaining rational control over our minds and actions we are opposing and quenching the work of the Holy Spirit. They say that believers must be prepared to surrender rational control in order that they may be open to direct divine activity in both worship and Christian service. John Wimber* observes with concern that "Fear of losing control is threatening to most Western Christians." He insists that we must overcome our fears, because rational control must be forfeited for tongues-speaking** to occur; for soaring ecstatic sensations to be felt in worship; for messages from God to be received directly into the mind, and for miraculous events to happen, such as healings."
* John Wimber was a mentor/colleague of Sam Storms'
** Sam Storms claims that he 'prays in tongues every day'

1 comment:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I've listened to Sam Storms several times and found him an engaging speaker and, from all I could tell as I listened, thoroughly reformed.

I'd heard that he had charismatic leanings (like Wayne Grudem) but I was very surprised to read that quote!

Just found this one of your blogs. I'm not a former charismatic, but a lot of my early learning came through my pentecostal Grandmother and some TV preachers, so I have been exposed to quite a bit of charismatic teachings.